Tuesday, January 27, 2015

DLP, Week 3

January Theme: The Blank Page and How to Face It
Art Challenge: The Color Wheel
Journal Prompt: 
"I found I could say things with color 
and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way . . . “    - Georgia O’Keeffe

I found it ironic that after lamenting my [over]use of color the last two weeks, this week's challenge was... color. I did not love the quote, though, so I found a different one that was still related to the topic but was more "up my alley." As usual, my explanation is below all the photos.

I wanted to tame my use of color this week, which was a challenge, given the theme. So I decided to concentrate wild & crazy color in just one element that would pop off my page. I used two different fonts to print the quote, then did a graphite transfer to get it onto the page. After that, I just traced the letters with a black fine tip Sharpie and sprayed the whole thing with two coats of gray (homemade) alcohol spray.


I loved this picture of a girl that I found in a magazine. I think she came from an ad for diabetes or asthma meds. She looks thoughtful and spunky, as if she's wondering how to shake things up. I used watercolor paper to make a new dress for her, then used about 11 layers of wet media to colorize it. I used (homemade) alcohol sprays, watercolor paint, gel sticks, ink, markers, and possibly some acrylic paint. I used some of the scrap paper left over from blotting & dripping to make a matching scarf. After I glued her into her dress, I stuck her onto a piece of textured "linen" cardstock that I had already covered & smeared with charcoal (and then sprayed with hairspray so I could pick it up without getting black smudges everywhere).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this page. This was my first attempt at creating a new garment for a magazine picture, and my first time using so many different types of wet media together. I pretty well achieved the look I was going for, so I'm going to call this one a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment